Another big race Saturday. They just keep coming. It's St leger Day on both sides of the Irish Sea and a sparkling supporting cast of quality fare is on offer too. Whilst I'll struggle to luxuriate in a feet-on-the-sofa, peel-me-another-grape TV-fest like last Saturday, I do hope to catch some of today''s best action. Equally, I'll struggle to luxuriate in the success of last week's bets. But for the record, and to prove it was all a complete fluke, these are today's mug punts:
- 2.10 Doncaster - Approve: Pretty consistent in top company all year. This step up to 7f is an unknown, but all evidence suggests it is likely to suit. 5/1.
- 2.45 Doncaster - Masamah: The phenomenal Portland Handicap. I've backed the winner of this previously, Hogmaneigh, who lines up today. This year, I've had some success following top weight Masamah who is a lightning bolt from the gates. Back in trip, no ground concerns, could be on the premises come 2.46:30pm. 20/1ew.
- 3.20 Doncaster - Joshua Tree: The world's oldest classic. Suffers in profile because the 1m6f trip is considered too far for lucrative future stud-earnings. Rewilding has solid form, as does Midas Touch. This outsider from the O'Brien yard could be progressing nicely and may be the surprise package at 11/1.
- 3.35 Chester - Bikini Babe: Difficult race where all have chances on the basis of bits and pieces of form. This Mark Johnston horse is the tentative selection. 5/1.
- 3.45 Curragh - Sans Frontiers: The Irish St Leger, open to older horses, unlike the English version. It is to an older horse that I look. Very impressive last time out at Newbury. Kite Wood could be he danger if rediscovering early season form. 5/2
- 3.55 Doncaster - Shakesperean: Very impressive at his best over this optimum 7f trip, especially when allowed to dictate from the front. Chucked in a couple of howlers this season too, so Frankie needs to pull out his top notch front-running tactics. 13/2
The drain is holding up, for those interested in this blog's sub-plot!